Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30–35 minutes
Makes: One 9-inch cake or 12 cupcakes
- Butter or coconut oil to prepare pan
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups Blue Diamond Almond Flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Blue Diamond Blanched Sliced Almonds for topping
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare an 9-inch round pan with butter (dairy-free if desired) or coconut oil. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar into the bottom of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, ¼ cup of the sugar and the vanilla until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly beat in the remaining ¼ cup sugar. Set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients—flours, baking powder and salt—and add to the egg yolks. Stir together to form a thick dough.
- Fold in the egg whites, ½ cup at a time, incorporating them fully between each addition. The final addition should result in a smooth, fluffy batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar and top with Blue Diamond Blanched Sliced Almonds.