Created by: Executive Chef Daniel Capra, Paula LeDuc Fine Catering
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 5 servings
Tempura Batter: makes 6 cups
- 1¼ cup rice flour
- 1¼ cup Blue Diamond Extra Fine Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
Coffee Seasoning: makes 1 cup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup dark roast coffee, coarse ground
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 pounds delicata squash
- 3 pounds butternut squash
- 1 bunch parsley
- 6 cups tempura batter
- Rice bran oil for frying
- 1 bunch basil
- ¼ cup coffee seasoning
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- Peel the butternut and cut into ½-inch slices (circles, half-moons, or cookie cutter shapes).
- You don’t need to peel the delicata squash but you do need to cut it.
- Dip squashes in the batter and carefully dip into pot of 360° oil. Rice bran oil preferred.
- Once golden brown, carefully remove and place on a plate of paper towels and sprinkle with coffee seasoning.
- Dip parsley into the batter and fry as well.
- Assemble fried squash, fried parsley, and basil leaves on a shallow bowl or platter.
- Sprinkle once more with the seasoning and Blue Diamond Almonds.