Created by: Almond Board of California
Makes: 32 servings
- 4 cups sliced California Almonds
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not sweetened)
- ½ pound fine-quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 ounces of milk chocolate or white chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF degrees and oil a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a separate large baking pan, spread almonds and toast almonds for 8 minutes or until slightly brown. Let cool.
- In a large heavy saucepan bring butter, sugar, water, vanilla, and salt to a boil over moderate heat, stirring with a wooden spoon. Boil mixture, without stirring, until deep golden, about 12 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 2 cups of the toasted almonds. Immediately pour onto reserved baking sheet. Spread evenly and then place into the refrigerator until set.
- Chop chocolate. In a hot double boiler, melt chocolate until smooth. Pour chocolate over cooled almond toffee and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Sprinkle top with remaining almonds. If desired, drizzle top with melted milk chocolate or white chocolate for contrast.
- Chill uncovered until firm, about 1 hour. Break toffee into pieces of bark. Keep layered between sheets of parchment paper in an airtight container at cool room temperature or chilled, 1 week.
Nutritional analysis per serving.
- Calories 280.1
- Fat 20.4 g
- Sat Fat 7.49 g
- Mono Fat 7.538 g
- Poly Fat 2.361 g
- Protein 5.392 g
- Carb 25.7 g
- Fiber 2.827 g
- Cholesterol 8.237 mg
- Sodium 22.2 mg
- Calcium 60.1 mg
- Magnesium 58.4 mg
- Potassium 253.3 mg
- Vitamin E 4.74 mg
*total alpha-tocopherol equivalents