Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 2 calzone
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 cup Blue Diamond Almond Flour
- 3¼ cups Blue Diamond gluten-free flour blend (see recipe here)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Rice flour for dusting
- ¼ cup almond basil pesto (see Almond Pesto Farfalle recipe)
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced yellow/red peppers
- Sliced cremini mushrooms
- Diced tomato
- Grated Parmesan or mozzarella to sprinkle on crust
Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place water in microwave and heat until it is about 110°F. Combine with tablespoon of sugar and yeast and set aside to proof for about 5 to 10 minutes. Mixture will bubble and start to foam.
- In a food processor, combine dry ingredients and pulse for 30 seconds until well blended.
- Once yeast is proofed, add in eggs, butter, olive oil, Parmesan cheese and seasoning. Mix briefly and slowly add flour mixture one cup at a time. Turn mixer up to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. The dough will become less sticky as it is mixed. Divide dough ball into two equal-sized balls.
- Cover surface with a piece of parchment and dust with rice flour. Place one dough ball on parchment, dust with flour and cover with a second piece of parchment.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a large circle about ¼-inch thick. Remove top layer of parchment. Repeat for second ball of dough.
- Spread pesto on one half of each of the dough rounds, leaving a 1-inch border. Cover with cheeses and top with desired vegetables.
- Using the parchment to assist, raise empty side of dough and gently fold over side with toppings. Roll and pinch edges of dough together so that both edges are merged.
- Sprinkle Parmesan or mozzarella cheese on top. Cut two slits on top of calzone to vent.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until crust is golden and firm. Cheese may begin to bubble through top.