Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: About 4 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 1½ pounds cod or tilapia fillets
- 2 + ⅓ cups Blue Diamond Almond Flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup beer (pale ale is best)
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 4 egg whites
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Malt vinegar or lemon wedges
- Cut fish into 3-inch strips and pat dry between paper towels. Dredge well in ⅓ cup almond flour.
- Blend 2 cups almond flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, beer, vinegar, egg whites and pepper in a blender until smooth.
- Heat at least two inches of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Dip fish into batter with a fork making sure to coat completely. Carefully drop into hot oil, cooking only a few pieces at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with additional malt vinegar or lemon wedges.
Recipe tip: Without the gluten, the almond flour batter wants to “float” off the fish while cooking. Egg whites bind the mixture as well as give the coating a light texture.