Created by: Almond Board of California
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek (white and light green part only), trimmed and diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 (2 1/4-ounce) package baby carrots, diced (about 2/3 cup)
- 8 stalks asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced almonds, roasted*
- Heat broth, salt and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a low simmer. Reduce heat to low.
- Heat butter or olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add garlic and leek and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in rice and carrots, coating them with butter or oil.
- Turn heat to medium-low. Stir in hot broth, 1 cup at a time, waiting for rice to absorb liquid before adding more — this will take 30–35 minutes. Add asparagus and peas when about 1 cup of broth is left.
- Stir in almonds just before serving, so they stay crunchy.
*To roast slivered, chopped or sliced almonds: Spread in an ungreased baking pan. Place in 350ºF oven and bake 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to assure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.